Can i take immodium when i'm breastfeeding?

Dr. Kermit Brunelle

In brief: That depends...

If you are considering immodium as treatment for a diarrheal illness.
I would advise against its use, but that said it is safe. If you are taking the immodium because of dietary indescretion (ice cream if you are lactose intolerant) then think about the consequences of eating what you shouldn't before consumption. Immodium can mask symptoms of a more serious illness - crohn's, ibd, or parasites.

In brief: That depends...

Dr. Kermit Brunelle
Dr. Kermit Brunelle

Loperamide (imodium) is minimally absorbed into the blood, with most remaining within the gut.
It has almost no detectable excretion into the breast milk. It is considered safe for use during breast feeding if the occasion arises.

Dr. Adam Levy