Are there some genetic reasons I get foot swelling off and on?

Not likely. There are many more common and likely reasons that you notice swelling in your foot, but it's necessary to distinguish if it is one or both feet, symmetric, when it occurs (constant, cyclical), how severe it is, family history, your age and medical history, bloodwork, etc. Before being able to narrow down for you the most likely cause.
Hard to identify. While it is always theoretically possible to have some genetic reasons for foot swelling, more than likely there is not a specific genetic cause. Some people can have clotting disorders that cause thrombophlebitis and leg swelling; others can have inflammatory conditions. Given that your symptoms are intermittent, however, it is unlikely, as there are far more common causes.
Some genetic links. Some causes of swelling of the feet can include systemic problems such as hypertension, and problems with the kidneys and localized issues such as arthritis, infection, lymphatic obstruction, blood clots, varicose veins, trauma (fracture, sprain, tendonitis) and side effects to medication. Have it evaluated by a professional and get the appropriate treatment.