Are the symptoms of subungual hematoma bad?

In brief: Sometimes

In most cases people will have these develop when they sustained minor trauma to the nail & may not feel it at all.
However, moderate trauma like catching a finger in a door jam or other direct trauma can give rise to a pressurized/painful hematoma. I routinely open these in the office with a the heated pointed end of a paper clip.The hole releases the pressure & the pain leaves.

In brief: Sometimes

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology

In brief: Rarely

This is a bleeding point underneath a nail, usually from trauma.
Much of the pain is due to the trauma but the blood can also cause discomfort. If persistent, you can have the blood drained by having your doctor open a hole through the nail allowing the blood to exit. This is actually a painless procedure.

In brief: Rarely

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Richard Bensinger