My ferritin level is 250. I also have raised liver enzymes of 350 (normal 1 -50) and unexplained diabetes. Any ideas of what could be going on?

Dr. Susan Wingo
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Ferritin

High ferritin levels can be seen in people with an inherited disease called hemochromatosis (hc) - your doctor probably ordered it to check for this.
Hc is caused by a mutation and leads to iron being deposited in tissues and can result in diabetes and abnormal liver enzymes. Ask your doctor about this.

In brief: Ferritin

Dr. Susan Wingo
Dr. Susan Wingo
Dr. Vered Lewy-Weiss
Pediatrics - Endocrinology

In brief: Male or female?

Ferritin reference ranges are different for men and for women.
If male, level is normal range. It's high for female. Non-specific test suggests "inflammation" but nothing more by itself. High liver enzymes can be fatty liver, especially for one w/diabetes. There may also be other systemic disease. More testing and medical history necessary.

In brief: Male or female?

Dr. Vered Lewy-Weiss
Dr. Vered Lewy-Weiss
Dr. Adam Smith