Do lots of people get gestational diabetes, or is it unusual?

Pregnancy diabetes. Abnormal maternal glucose regulation occurs in 3-10% of pregnancies. In 2-4% of pregnancies it is severe enough to be considered diabetes. Only 1.5-2% of white women develop gestational diabetes mellitus, whereas native americans from the southwestern United States may have rates as high as 15%. In hispanic, black, and asian populations, the incidence is 5-8%. This is pretty common.
Gestational diabetes. About 5 - 10 % of women are diagnosed with gestational diabetes. Women who have a strong family history of diabetes type ii are at particular risk. Other factors that increase the risk are age, obesity, and a twin pregnancy.