How can diabetes damage the kidneys?

Dr. Damien Luviano
Ophthalmology
In brief: High glucose
Diabetes hurts the blood vessels due to by products of high glucose.
The first vessels to get affected are micro vessels. All organs in body have micro vessels. The organs that rely on micro vessels for function are kidneys, eyes, heart, nerves. This is why these organs are hurt by by diabetes.

In brief: High glucose
Dr. Damien Luviano
Dr. Damien Luviano
Dr. Thomas Heston
In brief: Sugar excess
I think of high blood sugar as a toxin which damages blood vessels throughout the body including the kidneys.
Research suggests that high blood sugar results in a reduction in Nitric Oxide and excess of o-glcnac monnosaccharides which causes a decreased ability of the blood vessels to dilate. High blood pressure can also damage the kidneys.

In brief: Sugar excess
Dr. Thomas Heston
Dr. Thomas Heston