How fast can I make my lactose intolerance go away?

Jennifer Anyaegbunam
General Practice

In brief: Symptom Manegement

While there is no cure for lactose intolerance, symptoms of the condition can be managed.
Taking a lactase enzyme supplement before eating dairy products can help with lactose digestion. Decreasing/removing milk products from the diet improves symptoms as well, but it is important to find alternate sources of calcium and vitamin d, since they are nutrients essential for good health.

In brief: Symptom Manegement

Jennifer Anyaegbunam
Jennifer Anyaegbunam
Answer assisted by Jennifer Anyaegbunam, Medical Student

In brief: Depends

If you have transient lactose intolerance after a bad diarrhea it would self heal over 3 weeks if you avoid lactose.
If you have true lactose intolerance then your gut tissues don't make the enzyme to digest it and never will. You can avoid symptoms by avoiding lactose containing foods/drinks or take the enzyme in supplement form.

In brief: Depends