My mom has reynodes in her hands, what is the likelihood that I will get it and is there something I can do to prevent it?

Dr. Chad Boomershine
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
In brief: Don't worry
Raynaud's is caused by over-reactivity of the blood vessels in the fingers and toes.
It is usually benign, but can be associated with certain other medical conditions. To prevent it, do not smoke and keep your fingers and toes warm.

In brief: Don't worry
Dr. Chad Boomershine
Dr. Chad Boomershine
Dr. Pierre Moeser
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
In brief: Don't smoke
The likelihood of having it is low unless your mother has an autoimmune condition linked to her raynaud's.
However, the best thing you can do to lessen the chance of developing autoimmune diseases and raynaud's is to not smoke.

In brief: Don't smoke
Dr. Pierre Moeser
Dr. Pierre Moeser
Hiten Patel
Urology
In brief: Low
About 25% of individuals with isolated raynaud's phenomenon have a family history.
However, if you currently do not have the disorder, it is not certain whether having a family member with the disorder increases your risk. It may put you at a slightly greater risk than the general population. If the raynaud's is associated with another condition, such as scleroderma, it is usually more heritable.

In brief: Low
Hiten Patel
Hiten Patel
Answer assisted by Hiten Patel, Medical Student
Dr. Umesh Patel
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology