Drinking energy drinks give me diarrhea, & a lot of people I know get diarrhea from it as well. What ingredient in energy drinks can give you diarrhea?

Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dermatology

In brief: Lots of stuff

Many ingredients in energy drinks can cause diarrhea; different people have different sensitivities, so it’s hard to say which one actually causes it in any individual.
According to sports physicians i've talked to, the best energy drink is water. One team doctor told me that those big energy drink barrels you see on the sidelines at games are usually full of water, not the advertised product.

In brief: Lots of stuff

Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dr. Reid Blackwelder

In brief: Caffeine

The main ingredient in these drinks is caffeine which is a stimulant.
It can cause diarrhea, as well as elevated blood pressure, rapid heart beat, anxiety and so on, especially at the very high doses in these drinks. They often contain the equivalent of 4-5 cups of coffee in a single can. Guarana is also a common ingredient and can also cause similar symptoms.

In brief: Caffeine

Dr. Reid Blackwelder
Dr. Reid Blackwelder
Dr. Colin Kerr

In brief: Energy drinks

Several of the ingredients in many energy drinks have been associated with diarrhea: extremely large amounts of caffeine, gingko biloba, and ginseng, to name a few.

In brief: Energy drinks

Dr. Colin Kerr
Dr. Colin Kerr