7 doctors weighed in:

Could it be possible to take too much of a vitamin..And would that make you ill, particularly vitamin d?

7 doctors weighed in
Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dermatology
6 doctors agree

In brief: Yes.

Vitamin d toxicity is rare, but possible, and dangerous - because it raises your serum calcium to hazardous levels.
What exactly constitutes a toxic dose of vitamin d has yet to be determined, and it may vary with the individual. Published cases of toxicity, for which serum levels and dose are known, all involve intake of ? 40000 iu (1000 mcg) per day.

In brief: Yes.

Vitamin d toxicity is rare, but possible, and dangerous - because it raises your serum calcium to hazardous levels.
What exactly constitutes a toxic dose of vitamin d has yet to be determined, and it may vary with the individual. Published cases of toxicity, for which serum levels and dose are known, all involve intake of ? 40000 iu (1000 mcg) per day.
Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dr. Joseph Eastern
Thank
Dr. Luis Villaplana
Internal Medicine
1 doctor agrees

In brief: Yes

Excess vitamin a and d can make you ill.

In brief: Yes

Excess vitamin a and d can make you ill.
Dr. Luis Villaplana
Dr. Luis Villaplana
Thank
Get help from a real doctor now
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified,
23 years in practice
171K people helped
Continue
108,000 doctors available
Read more answers from doctors