More info about a bone contusion in the 5th metatarsal of an 11 year female ballet dancer?

Dr. Robert Palumbo
Sports Medicine

In brief: Contussion Vs Stress

If this was a true direct impact injury and a true contussion, symptoms should respond to relative rest, ice, anti imflammatory messures and a progression back to dance within a week or two.
If this is more of a stress or overuse pattern of edema noted on MRI then this becomes more problematic. It should still heal but can reoccur immediately if her intensity of training is not altered.

In brief: Contussion Vs Stress

Dr. Robert Palumbo
Dr. Robert Palumbo

In brief: Dancers injury

If it had an MRI that confirmed contusion sould be able to dance fairly soon.
5 th metatarsal injuries can be tricky to diagnos possibility of stress fracture often seen with dancers. I'm married to a ballet dancer so i've seen her with stress fracture that doesn't show on x-ray suggest you have it checked.

In brief: Dancers injury

Dr. Jeffrey Bowman
Dr. Jeffrey Bowman
Dr. Jane Van Dis