I've been battling depression for 12 yrs. I've been on many different medicines. None seem to work. What are some things l can try to feel better?

Dr. Miroslava Fox
Clinical Psychology

In brief: See Below

Establishing a time to do things that you like/enjoy; relaxation, learning what triggers your symptoms; creating "crisis card" things to do when depression worsens; stress management; sleep hygiene.
Be open to a psychotherapy option -- just to have someone to offer you different perspective and guide you through the process.

In brief: See Below

2 comments
Dr. Loon-tzian Lo
Getting a thorough psychiatric re-evaluation to assess if you have bipolar affective didsorder, type II, which presents with predominant depressive symptoms with intermittent hypomania. Often, persons with treatment-resistant depression will benefit from mood stabilizer in addition to antidepressants.
Dr. Steven Griggs
Consider rTMS.
Dr. Charles Rocamboli

In brief: Exercise

Try adding some exercise to your routine.
Your body will release some of the same chemicals (nor epi and epi) naturally that way. I usually suggest yoga as is it a good combination of anarobic and aerobic exercise. Also, the meditative component of yoga may help you as well.

In brief: Exercise

Dr. Pamela Pappas

In brief: Treatment resistant?

What you describe sounds like treatment-resistant depression, and i agree with dr. Rocamboli's suggestions.
Hopefully you've been working with a psychiatrist who has tried augmenting agents along with your antidepressants. Have you been involved in psychotherapy? This is essential in depression. Many chronically depressed people have experienced childhood abuse/neglect. [see comment].

In brief: Treatment resistant?

Dr. Pamela Pappas
Sometimes this material can be difficult to access and release, as the patterns are bred into the person's consciousness. It can be like asking a fish what it's like to swim in water; even though s/he's immersed, s/he may not recognize the effects upon her/him. Therapy can be extremely important in delineating current life and possibility from past painful experience, and to grieve those old losses. The point is that medications alone are not the final treatment for depression. There are also Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation and ECT. Not to mention nutritional approaches, acupuncture, and classical homeopathy in the hands of an experienced homeopath.
Dr. Eric Weisman