What is the chance of a child having a twisted bowel due to severe impaction? Giving senokot (senna) at bedtime one time no large movement yet tried supposito

In brief: Needs some help

I would take her to your pcp and see if s/he can help you get this painful process some help.
I end up sending 1 kid every year or two to the x-ray department where they use a soluable contrast material to loosen and wash out the lower bowel.The study will also reveal some enlargement of the colon from stool retention. Agressave daily emptying and oral wetting agents can help this resolve.

In brief: Needs some help

Dr. Leto Quarles

In brief: Soften vs stimulate

"obstipation" (severe constipation, unable to pass bm, no other obstruction) can be tough to treat in kids, but untreated can lead to emergencies (twisted or ruptured bowel) or ongoing problems.
Senekot is a gentle start, but she may need stronger meds to stimulate a bm as well. If it's been 3-5 days without bm or she has pain, work with her doc to manage and monitor a bowel regimen to get going.

In brief: Soften vs stimulate

Dr. Leto Quarles
Dr. Leto Quarles
Dr. Cindy Juster