My 4.5 month old is reaching for his ear. Teething or ear infection? How to tell?

Examine by a doctor. If your pediatrician finds an ear infection it is not his teeth. If there is an emerging tooth it should be obvious by looking in the mouth.
Ears. Sometimes, a 4 1/2 month old will reach for his or her ear because it just happens to be there, and not because of a teething or an ear infection. Fever, decreased appetite, lethargy, increased irritability, or decreased urine output are reasons to see the doctor for an exam.
Symptoms? Baby's can reach for their ears just to explore. Is your baby fussy? Feverish? Not feeding as well? Did s/he have a recent upper respiratory infection? If you can answer yes to any of these take your baby to the doctor.