I would like to have coolsculpting on my stomach, lower back and thighs. I have had radiation. The radiation left me with neuropathy. Can I do it?

Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dermatology

In brief: Nothing is risk-free

"coolsculpting" is the proprietary name for a body contouring procedure that purports to remove fat by selectively "freezing" the fat cells.
The company claims that there are no significant side effects, but does warn of possible "tingling and numbness" - which are signs of nerve injury. So it all depends on what sort of neuropathy you have, and whether you are willing to risk making it worse.

In brief: Nothing is risk-free

Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dr. Michele Arnold
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine

Local neuropathy is not a contraindictation to cool sculpting (such as with the zerona laser).
You should make certain you communicate this to the physician at the time of your evaluation, in the event that special topical/skin precautions need to be taken.

Dr. Michele Arnold
Dr. Michele Arnold
Dr. Jennifer Tighe De Soto
Cosmetic Surgery

In brief: Yes, but...

You can do CoolSculpting for fat reduction, but given that you already have neuropathy in the area the CS will likely worsen your neuropathy symptoms.
This will probably be temporary. I generally treat post CS neuropathy with steroids +/- gabapentin. I would recommend in person consultation with your local CS provider. http://www.omahacosmeticsurgery.com/non-surgical-procedures/coolsculpting/

In brief: Yes, but...

Dr. Jennifer Tighe De Soto
Dr. Jennifer Tighe De Soto
Dr. Jayson Dupre
Aesthetic Medicine

While there is a very low risk of late onset pain that seems neuropathic in nature it resolves readily.
There is no data on patients with existing neuropathy in terms of potentially worsening it so following consultation with your treating physician if deemed appropriate it would seem reasonable to pursue.

Dr. Jayson Dupre
Dr. Jayson Dupre
Dr. John Di Saia
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Not in radiated area

Hi, i would be careful not to have it in areas that have been treated with radiation as they might not heal well.

In brief: Not in radiated area

Dr. John Di Saia
Dr. John Di Saia
Dr. Steven Seres