My skin in my eye socket above my eyelid is very dry but only on one side. What could cause this?

Dr. David Wishnew
Wound care

In brief: Skin dry

Usually, the skin of the upper eyelids is lubricated by glands that have a fat-based secretion.
The dryness may be due to a decreased secretion on the affected side. It is important to remember that although we may look symmetrical from left to right, we are not truly symmetrical. There are small differences from side to side that may concern us but are not at all significant.

In brief: Skin dry

Dr. David Wishnew
Dr. David Wishnew
Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dermatology

In brief: Allergy, irritation

The skin around the eyes is thin and sensitive.
You could be rubbing that eye without realizing it and causing an irritant reaction. Eye sockets are also natural "cups" which catch airborne allergens, such as dust and pollen - and that can happen on one side only. If it is sufficiently persistent and/or annoying, have a dermatologist take a look at it.

In brief: Allergy, irritation

Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dr. Morris Westfried
Dermatology

In brief: Allergy

This can represent a conta t allergy to a hair product, nail polish or other chemical which caused a reaction.
Topical medications will i prove rash in 1-2 days. If recurrent or persistent allergies tests may identify cause.

In brief: Allergy

Dr. Morris Westfried
Dr. Morris Westfried