My two year son has been waking up with his eyes closed because of guck covering them.. It only happens at night. Not really during his naps. Wat hap?

Dr. Andrew Shatz
Ophthalmology
In brief: See an eye doctor
What you are describing sounds like an eyelid infection (conjunctivitis).
The most common cause is bacterial and is usually very easily treated with antibiotic eye drops. An eye doctor can quickly diagnose and treat the condition, and may even take a culture to determine the cause. Don't try to see if it will go away on it's own; it is safer to treat it early.

In brief: See an eye doctor
Dr. Andrew Shatz
Dr. Andrew Shatz
Most Peds/FP/GP/nurse Practitioners can easily manage this issue. Wait long enough to see your eye Dr & it the kid may be in school
David Miller
In brief: Pink eye?
It sounds like he might have conjunctivitis or "pink eye.
" the reason the gunck is only in his eyes after an overnight is because it takes that long to collect. I'll wager that other kids he's around are having similar issues. He needs to be seen to determine whether this is bacterial or viral and treated accordingly.

In brief: Pink eye?
David Miller
David Miller
Answer assisted by David Miller, Medical Student
Dr. Jonathan Jassey