When should I get worried about my 2 year old's reoccuring cough? There is asthma on our family.

In brief: Now
You are correct to consider asthma (reactive airway disease).
Information that your doctor may want: describe the cough. When does it occur? Night cough is common. Any wheezing? Any triggers? Cold weather, exercise, common cold, smoke, etc.? Have you used bronchodilators like albuterol in the past? If so, what was the response? How long does a treatment last? How many treatments per day?

In brief: Now
Dr. Ronda Dennis-Smithart
Dr. Ronda Dennis-Smithart
Dr. Maziar Rezvani
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology
In brief: When…
It's associated with other lower respiratory symptoms such as wheezing, shortness of breath or fast shallow breathing.
This may be indicative of reactive airways.

In brief: When…
Dr. Maziar Rezvani
Dr. Maziar Rezvani
Dr. Kelly Kane
In brief: Recurring cough
Winter cough is common at the age of two.
It changes in quality and frequency through each ongoing illness. If a cough persists all year round, causes shortness of breath or reduces her play it merits evaluation. It is hard to diagnose true asthma at 2 years old, but your child is at increased risk due to your family history. Many children wheeze with colds and outgrow it. I would follow closely.

In brief: Recurring cough
Dr. Kelly Kane
Dr. Kelly Kane
In brief: Now!
There are multiple causes for a persistent or chronic cough in children.
Asthma is one of them.Postnasal drip caused by cold or a sinus infection can produce chronic cough.In some children, the cause is reflux (stomach acid and other fluid moving back up the throat. This may occur without heartburn. Foreign bodies can be accidentally inhaled at any age causing recurrent cough.

In brief: Now!
Dr. Prakash Bhoopalam
Dr. Prakash Bhoopalam
Dr. Cindy Juster