What can I do when my 9 year old wakes up frequently at night?

Dr. Kelly Kane

In brief: Sleep solutions

There is no magic pill for sleep, but there are some things that may help.
If he wakes within 2-3 hours of going to sleep he is probably overtired and needs an earlier bedtime. If he dreams alot he may need more sleep. Limiting caffeine from drinks and chocolate may help. If he has trouble starting sleep melatonin may be beneficial for him. If he snores or wakes with pain address this w/his dr.

In brief: Sleep solutions

Dr. Kelly Kane
Dr. Kelly Kane
Dr. Thomas Riney

In brief: Sleep issues

Keep a record of bedtime, activities prior to bedtime, medications, stressors, anxiety provoking incidents, family stressors, urinary habits and bring to your pediatrician.
Tell child to remain in her bed, remove tv, computer , and cell phone from all bedrooms. Eliminate caffeine and energy drinks from diet and sodas.

In brief: Sleep issues

Dr. Thomas Riney
Dr. Thomas Riney
Dr. Derrick Lonsdale
Preventive Medicine

In brief: Depends

Restless sleep in a 9-year old is abnormal.
In my experience the commonest cause is related to diet, particularly the ingestion of sugar, soft drinks and "junk". Please google my blog entitled "oxygen, the spark of life" where you will find greater details. Also go to "the soil and health library" on line and look up my book in the alternative medicine section.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Derrick Lonsdale
Dr. Derrick Lonsdale
Dr. Jonathan Jassey