Hi- if I have HPV and ill take my cervix out- will i still have a chance to get cancer? Can the virus manifest itself in other areas of the body? Thx

Dr. Jane Van Dis

Hpv causes changes that can affect all of the epithelial cells in the vagina, vulva, anus and mouth/throat.
So even if someone has their cervix taken out, they can have cancer of those areas. Having said that, the chances of having pre-cancer or cancer in those areas is extremely low. Regular check ups to check for lesions as well as noting any lesions yourself in those areas can help. Best!

In brief: See below

In th egenital tract the hpv will be gone.
If you also had oral sex it can with time manifest itself there as well so you should closely wathc for any white areas in your mouth and it they are present see a physician.

In brief: See below

Dr. Dennis Higginbotham