Brca 2 pos. Age 68 is mastectomy recommened?

Dr. Carlos Encarnacion
Internal Medicine - Oncology

In brief: It is an option...

...But not the only one.
Any person with an inherited cancer trait or a strong family history of cancer should discuss their management with a specialist in cancer genetics. No such thing as one size fits all. Good news is that by knowing you have a mutation, you have the tactical advantage. Best to you.

In brief: It is an option...

...But not the only one.
Dr. Carlos Encarnacion
Dr. Carlos Encarnacion
Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery

In brief: C genetic counselor

Women who have the brca2 mutation have an increased risk of developing breast(50-80%) and/or ovarian(15-25%) ca, as well as other GI malignancies.
Prophylactic mastectomy is one of a number of options to reduce this risk, as is close surveillance (mammograms, breast mri), and chemoprevention (tamoxifen, etc). The best advice is tailored to your specific condition--see a genetic counselor first.

In brief: C genetic counselor

Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Regina Hampton
Breast Surgery

In brief: Options

I recommend you meet with a genetic counselor and have family members tested as well.
Bilateral mastectomy is an option as is close monitoring with mammogram and mri. I highly recommend you consult a breast surgeon and be followed in a high risk program. Please explore all of your options.

In brief: Options

Dr. Regina Hampton
Dr. Regina Hampton
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery