Does migraine affect the trigeminal nerve?

Migraines. The function of the trigeminal nerve should remain normal in patients with migraines ( good facial sensation and good masseter muscle strength). However, it is the trigeminal nerve the main neural structure implied in the mechanism of migraine. A cascade of neuro-inflammatory response on the trigeminal nerve is what ultimately mediates the pain in migraine sufferers.
Likely the reverse. Although the mechanism of migraine is not fully understood, we do know that the dorsal nucleus of the trigeminal nerve does play a role in the process, and we do find symptoms over the face and neck which seem in the distribution of the trigeminal nerve sensory branches. However, trigeminal neuralgia is not related whatsoever.