I have chronic tonsilitis. Sore throats. I have been told by 4 doctors that I need my tonsils out how long can I be putting this off?

Dr. Robert Knox
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Chronic Tonsillitis
If you have experienced more than four episodes of acute tonsillitis within the last six months or six or more episodes within the past year, you should see an ent.
Also, a chronic sore throat needs to be evaluated. Tonsillectomy is an outpatient procedure in the vast majority of health patents. If you get medical treatment with each episode, the question is just one of patience.

In brief: Chronic Tonsillitis
Dr. Robert Knox
Dr. Robert Knox
Dr. Scott Rickert
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Treatment depends
Chronic tonsilitis can be treated by antibiotics or removal of the tonsils.
Once you have more than 5-6 infections/yr or 3 infections a year for 3 years in a row do we consider removal the tonsils. If you do not decide to remove them, you will need treatment for each infection. It really depends on how many and how bad these infections are to determine whether the surgery is recommended.

In brief: Treatment depends
Dr. Scott Rickert
Dr. Scott Rickert
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine