In an operation for appendicitis, is the incision made in the groin? Does it increase the chances of developing an inguinal hernia?

No risk. There is not a groin incision made for operation to take out the appendix. For an open technique an incision is made in the right lower quadrant of the abdomen, but well above the groin. For laparoscopic technique, there are usually three incisions, one at the belly button, one above the pubic bone, and one in the left lower quadrant of the abdomen, all of which are away from the groin. Hope this helps!
Above the groin. The scar from an open appendectomy will be above the inguinal ligament by a good distance. It should not affect a groin hernia. The hernia may have been present before, and now become more easily seen after the surgery.
Appendix. Nope. The incision is not done in the inguinal canal but higher up in the lower right quadrant of the abdomen.