I have been having a choking feeling when I go to eat dinner. I basically prevents me from swallowing with out forcing myself to do so? What can be?

Dr. Arthur Heller
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: Dysphagia. See MD

Dysphagia: (difficulty swallowing) can be due to incoordination, as well as possible blockage.
It matters if it is for solids and/or for liquids. It matters where the problem occurs, i.e. In the mouth, back of the throat, or lower. May be due to muscle problems, neurological problems, effects of stomach reflux, or tumors. Needs evaluation. See md; may need ent, neuro, gi, video esophagram.

In brief: Dysphagia. See MD

Dr. Arthur Heller
Dr. Arthur Heller
Dr. David Astrachan
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Usually spasm

Usually this symptom is from spasm of the upper esophageal muscle that acts to encircle the upper food tube and prevent stomach contents from coming up and potentially getting into your lungs.
This muscle can over tighten in response to reflux, too much acid consumption (coffee, tea, soda) as well as stress. Modify your diet, try twice daily Zantac (ranitidine) and if not better see an ENT doctor.

In brief: Usually spasm

Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. Albert Pizzo

In brief: Can

If this occurs only at dinner and you are fine for other meals then that would suggest a psychological basis.
How old are you and what gender are you. Who are you having dinner with and do you eat with others during the day without trouble. If you still are puzzled then see your doctor to help you figure out your problem.

In brief: Can

Dr. Albert Pizzo
Dr. Albert Pizzo
Dr. Marsha Davis