What are the surgical & nonsurgical treatments for chondromalacia patella? Will these treatments stop my knees from cracking so loud/often? Im only 21

Dr. Reid Blackwelder
In brief: Usually time
True chondromalacia is caused by irritation of the back of the kneecap against other structures of the knee.
Usually pain is a main issue. If all you have is cracking, this does need need specific treatment. Surgery is not indicated for this problem altho may help some conditions that are similar. Quad strengthening is key, and tylenol/otc meds often helpful. Ice after exertion, too.

In brief: Usually time
Dr. Reid Blackwelder
Dr. Reid Blackwelder
Dr. Stephen Rodrigues
I would object to any knee surgery now that I know the wisdom of Travell. I would strictly avoid steroids into the joint and viscosupplements. Giving a problems a name is just the beginning of the long road to normal. Self care if vital and being proactive in your care is too. Janet G. Travell, MD the matriarch of pain therapy noted in the 50-90's something interesting about joint pain. She stated that any joint area stiffness, aching and tension was due to muscles NOT the joint proper. So her myofascial therapy protocols are designed to treat all types of "joint pain." Begin a self-care self/pro Massage, chiropractor, heat, Epsom soaking, stretching. I use acupuncture!
Dr. Kevin Windisch
In brief: Exercise
To learn more about chondromalacia you can watch http://www.
Youtube.Com/watch?V=waxp4bqjmq4.

In brief: Exercise
Youtube.Com/watch?V=waxp4bqjmq4.
Dr. Kevin Windisch
Dr. Kevin Windisch
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery