The last 2 nights when I get up I am dizzy. I also get dizzy when I lay back down. What would cause that?

Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Internal Medicine - Geriatrics
In brief: Dizziness
Please review previous answers about dizziness and vertigo.
Dizziness is very common but many things can cause it. We have to assess the heart make sure there are no arrhythmias, also the vertebrobasilar arteries, the inner ears, good hydration, check for anemia, no side effect from medicines, blood pressure issues. Viruses may cause them too. In women pregnancy. Get evaluated.

In brief: Dizziness
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Dr. Colin Kerr
In brief: Dizzy
It sounds like you are getting dizzy with changes of position.
We should clarify, however, whether your dizzy feelings are like the room spinning or just a lightheadedness like you are going to faint. Causes of spinning sensation vertigo include viruses and calcium specks in your inner ear (benign). Causes of feeling faint are low blood pressure, eg, medication or blood loss.

In brief: Dizzy
Dr. Colin Kerr
Dr. Colin Kerr
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine