Can very early stage emphysema be reversed? My doctor said it could be, in my case. Is it ture? Thank you

Dr. David Wyatt

In brief: Not likely....

Quitting smoking is the only way - but after quitting smoking, early lung changes from COPD should reverse with time! good luck!

In brief: Not likely....

Dr. David Wyatt
Dr. David Wyatt
Dr. David Wyatt
great choice - follow up with the MD that diagnosed you to - RE-TEST lung function and see how improving!! best to wait 3-6 mos after 100 % quit smoking and then yearly.... again CONGRATS!!!!
Dr. Andrew Murphy
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Not likely

Emphysema is the end product of years of chronic damage to your lungs, typically from smoking and rarely from a genetic disease called Alpha one antitrypsin deficiency.
Neither one of these diseases is reversible but with aggressive treatment the progression of the disease can be slowed and symptomatic improvement can occur.

In brief: Not likely

Dr. Andrew Murphy
Dr. Andrew Murphy
Dr. Suresh Anand
It is worth while to use free alpha1 antitrypsin kit (Behring) in patients with asthma/COPD. Recently I had 2 patients with low levels. Both had very low FVC and FEV1 and poor response to bronchodilators. Both never smoked. If I did not have the kits lying around in the office I would not have tested them. Both also have strongly positive allergy tests and were referred by the pulmonologists.
Dr. Colin Kerr

In brief: Emphysema

If the term is used correctly, "emphysema" means there is actual loss of lung tissue due to a chronic irritant like smoking.
This is not reversible. But from a practical point of view, the important symptoms of chronic lung disease (wheezing, sputum production, shortness of breath on exertion) can be dramatically improved by eliminating the cause and taking medication as needed.

In brief: Emphysema

Dr. Colin Kerr
Dr. Colin Kerr
Dr. Sue Ferranti

In brief: Usually not...

Emphysema is a form of copd, which means there is chronic, irreversible obstruction present.
Now, in some cases of copd, there is a reversible obstruction component as well and this can be reversed with meds. But, the chronic obstruction component is irreversible, incurable and slowly progressive. Smoking cessation will decrease inflammation and treatment will control symptoms.

In brief: Usually not...

Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Govind Sharma
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Doubtful

How long have you had :empysema: was it clinivcally and diagnostically documented.
It all dependa on the vc fev1 etc.

In brief: Doubtful

It all dependa on the vc fev1 etc.
Dr. Govind Sharma
Dr. Govind Sharma
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology