Tongue feels diffusely burnt, painful to heat +halitosis; a few papillae have turned white. Whatis? (+gum abscess persistent post root canal revision)

Dr. Colin Kerr
In brief: Tongue symptoms
While i can't be certain, from what you say, the halitosis probably comes from your gum abscess (bacterial odor).
The changes in your tongue could be due to an overgrowth of yeast germs (fungi) than can happen when you take an antibiotic; this could cause the redness, tenderness, and white patches. Other causes of the tongue changes could be inflammation (glossitis) due to allergy or infection.

In brief: Tongue symptoms
Dr. Colin Kerr
Dr. Colin Kerr
In brief: Tongue issues and rc
The tongue is rarely ever involved in issues that relate to a tooth needing a root canal.
It is possible that the tongue issue is related to contact allergy and use of warm salt water rinses will help and if you are able to benedryl elixar will help sooth the tongue.

In brief: Tongue issues and rc
Dr. Gregori Kurtzman
Dr. Gregori Kurtzman
Dr. Martin Raff
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease
In brief: Many possiblities
In addition to dr. Kopes-kerr's answer there are many causes for inflammation of the surfaces of gums and tongue, and a good evaluation of the back of your throat and your sinuses is also helpful.
If you have not been immunized, measles can present like this as well.

In brief: Many possiblities
Dr. Martin Raff
Dr. Martin Raff
Joshua Goldner
Thank you Dr. Raff. I have had the MMR. My endodontist has agreed to take a look. Nystatin did work before for similar tongue syndrome that cropped up when abscess originally appeared 6 months ago, though the tongue is not diffusely white & I have no throat plaque. I do have a few 1-2mm round, smooth bumps (look like eruptive lingual papilitis) on the posterior tongue. All the best. -Josh
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine