I am a 30-yr old Asian male and went for a kidney ultrasound as part of a physical.Ultrasounds reveal that my prostate gland is enlarged. Is that bad?

Dr. George Klauber
Pediatrics - Urology
In brief: Why was US done
Kidney ultrasound is not part of a routine physical examination, & done if ? Of abdominal pathalogy.
Digital rectal exam is part pe. If yes would know if prostate is enlarged, if no pe was inadequate.Hopefully it was read by an expert radiologist.Then rectal exam done if not done before. Likely not abnormal in absence of symptoms. If truly enlarged see urologist. ? Drs. Motivation for us ?Financial.

In brief: Why was US done
Dr. George Klauber
Dr. George Klauber
2 comments
Dr. George Klauber
Appreciate your reply. Suggest the urinalysis is repeated and consider geiing another primary care Dr.
Dr. Richard Sarle
An ultrasound of the kidney, including the bladder as part of a routine physical is a bit odd. I would also comment that prostate ultrasound is also quite low yield in a 30 yo male without symptoms...the financial motivation the doctor above mentions is sad but TRUE !
In brief: Kidney ultrasoun
Why was a kidney ultrasound done.

In brief: Kidney ultrasoun
Why was a kidney ultrasound done.
Dr. Richard Sarle
Dr. Richard Sarle
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Internal Medicine - Geriatrics
In brief: Go to urologist
At age 30 is too early.
I would go to an urologist for examination since prostate cancers in young individuals are very aggressive and enlarged prostate could be associated to prostate cancer. Most likely the ultrasound overread as enlarged when in fact it is not. A transrectal ultrasound of the prostate may be more accurate.

In brief: Go to urologist
At age 30 is too early.
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Dr. Jack Hinkle