I had a lap nissen done 10 yrs ago. I now have heartburn. Does that automatically point to my gall bladder being removed? Just want a second opinio

Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery

In brief: No.

Heartburn following laparoscopic fundoplication is secondary to recurrent reflux (gerd) rather than gallbladder disease.
Long-term studies following people who had fundoplications 10+ yrs. Previously have shown that as many as 25% use anti-acid medication (although 90% remain overall satisfied with the operation). I suggest you buy an otc acid-reducing med; if this is ineffective, see your doc.

In brief: No.

Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Lonna Larsh

In brief: Not automatically

Heartburn is actually not a sign that your gallbladder needs to be removed.
Probably your gerd is back. It is not unusual to get heartburn again several years after a nissen fundoplication. They were very popular when you had yours done 10 years ago because it was thought they would be a permanent solution. We found that they very often are not permanent. Get a 2nd opinion from a live doc!

In brief: Not automatically

Dr. Lonna Larsh
Dr. Lonna Larsh
Dr. Tracy Berg
Surgery

In brief: Surgery indications

Upper GI symptoms can be vague.
So your doc will get you tested. Ultraound of your gallbladder is a good first test to make a diagnosis. If your gallbladder is the cause of symptoms and filled with stones, you should consult with a surgeon about removal. There are many other possible causes of your symptoms. Your doc is.

In brief: Surgery indications

Upper GI symptoms can be vague.
Dr. Tracy Berg
Dr. Tracy Berg
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery