My doctor thinks my grandma might have temporal frontal dementia. Wants more info to confirm, but I am worried. What exactly is it? How is it treated?

Dr. Maureen Nash
Psychiatry - Geriatric
In brief: There are 3 types
Named for the brain areas that are affected, the frontal and temporal lobes, there are several different variants of this type of dementia.
Some of these types of dementia have prominent problems with words - either slowly losing the ability to speak or losing the ability to makes sense when one talks. There is an impulsive, disinhibited personality variant also.

In brief: There are 3 types
Dr. Maureen Nash
Dr. Maureen Nash
Dr. Colin Kerr
In brief: Dementia
In frontotemporal dementia, portions of these lobes atrophy or shrink.
Signs and symptoms vary, depending upon the portion of the brain affected. Some people with frontotemporal dementia undergo dramatic changes in their personality and become socially inappropriate, impulsive or emotionally indifferent. There is no specific treatment. Senior centers and adult day care can be very helpful.

In brief: Dementia
Dr. Colin Kerr
Dr. Colin Kerr
In brief: Type of dementia
Frontotemporal dementia (ftd) is a degenerative dementia that primarily affects the frontal and/or temporal lobes.
In contrast to alzheimer's disease which first has memory loss, the early symptoms of ftd often include significant changes in personality or difficulty with language among other problems. See: www.Aftd.Org or www.Alz.Org.

In brief: Type of dementia
Dr. Darren Gitelman
Dr. Darren Gitelman