My right side bottem ribbs hurt, im just getting over a cold and I've been coffing alot, now it feels like my side ribs are bruised, it hurts to laugh ?

Dr. Claude Parola

In brief: Muscle/rib pain

When you cough, the muscle of your chest contract to increase the pressure of the thoracic cavity so that air is expelled forcefully, the ribs are part of the thoracic cage, thus the muscle contraction act on the ribs also, there are cases where people fracture their ribs due to excessive coughing, especially those who has osteoporosis.

In brief: Muscle/rib pain

Dr. Claude Parola
Dr. Claude Parola
Dr. Sue Ferranti

In brief: Possibilities...

Once a cough has been present for many days to weeks, musculoskeletal problems may arise.
This includes muscle injury, rib bruising or even rib fractures. There is no specific therapy for these and it will resolve once the cough resolves even if a rib fracture is present. Breathe deeply periodically to avoid complications like pneumonia.

In brief: Possibilities...

Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Steven Seres