Could dental work cause trigeminal neuralgia?

Not usually. Newer leading research indicates that it is an enlarged blood vessel - possibly the superior cerebellar artery - compressing or throbbing against the microvasculature of the trigeminal nerve near its connection with the pons. Such a compression can injure the nerve's protective myelin sheath and cause erratic and hyperactive functioning of the nerve.
Not vascular. Vascular theory is anything but new. It was introduced by janetta pj in 1967. It doesn't explain triggering, amplification and stop mechanism. I had trigeminal neuralgia, and it wasn't vascular and in fact vascular neuralgia is extremely rare in anyone under 50. So given jayharo5's age and inciting trigger, vascular is not a likely etiology.
Yes! Especially in someone over the age of 50. If you are having sudden unprovoked severe stabbing pain, see a physician for treatment.
NO. Obviously, within the mouth, there are branches of the trigeminal nerve, besides other cranial nerves, but dental procedures have never caused true trigeminal neuralgia, which is a problem within the brainstem and/or lower intracranial cavity, not the mouth.