Can I get cosmetic laser hair removal if I have vitiligo?

Dr. SG Erman

Laser hair removal only works on darkly pigmented hair; it will not work well on white/grey/blonde/lt brown hair. The skin color will not make too much of a difference.

Dr. SG Erman
Dr. SG Erman
3 comments
Dr. Donald Shenenberger
Dr. Erman is correct. The best results for laser hair removal are with the combination of light skin and dark hair. The laser selectively targets the pigment in the hair. However, most patients with vitiligo have not only loss of skin pigment but loss of the pigment in the hairs in the depigmented areas. This makes the laser not a good option for vitiligo patients.
Dr. Morris Westfried
It can be done but you may need test spot because area with vitiligo can be more sensitive to laser.
Dr. Francisco Agullo
Surgery - Plastics

There is no contraindication.

There is no contraindication.
Dr. Francisco Agullo
Dr. Francisco Agullo