Should acne scars ever go away?

Depends on timing. Acne can occur anywhere there are sebaceous glands (oil glands) in the skin. Web md is a great resource to learn more about acne. Skin hygiene with soap and water followed by benzol peroxide or 2% salicylic acid products are over the counter options. An evaluation by a dermatologist can help develop a long term plan. Resistant acne can also be treated with antibiotics and some laser therapy.
Acne Scars. Ice pick and scallop (scooped out) type facial acne scars are permanent. Treatment modalities include but are not limited to mechanical dermabrasion, laser resurfacing, and surgical scar revision. See a dermatologist or plastic surgeon to determine what would be best for you.