What are the floaters that I see sometimes when I close my eyes (are they inside the eye)?

Dr. David Wishnew
Wound care

In brief: Floaters in eye

Floaters in one or both eyes are generally benign.
However, they can be distressing and anxiety provoking. I would encourage you to see an opthamologist (eye specialist) who is the specialist best qualified to determine the origin of the floater, rule out glaucoma and other optic diseases, and start the best treatment for your particular problem.

In brief: Floaters in eye

Dr. David Wishnew
Dr. David Wishnew
Dr. Michael Ham
Ophthalmology

In brief: Vitreous detachment

Floaters are caused by the vitreous (jelly in the eye) detaching from the retina (typically a normal change in the aging eye).
The vitreous clumps up or develops blurry areas within the jelly causing your floater. Yes they can be a warning sign. If when the vitreous changes, causing floaters, the retina is torn you are at risk for a retinal detachment. You should have and examination.

In brief: Vitreous detachment

Dr. Michael Ham
Dr. Michael Ham
Dr. Keshav Narain
Ophthalmology - Retinal Surgery

In brief: Entoptics

Entoptic phenomenon are a result of internal phenomenon such as the white blood cells within the choroidal vascular supply of the eye.
They can also sometimes be seen on a neutral background such as a blue sky. They are not something to worry about, but a function of the way that our optical system is designed. If you see flashes of light, have an eye specialist look at your retina.

In brief: Entoptics

Dr. Keshav Narain
Dr. Keshav Narain
Dr. Adam Smith