Can acupuncture help Achilles tendonitis?

In brief: Yes...it can

It can help by relaxing the muscle...

In brief: Yes...it can

It can help by relaxing the muscle...
Dr. Grace Torres-hodges
Dr. Grace Torres-hodges
4 comments
Dr. Thomas Namey
That's called temporary pain relief. No effect on inflammation and improving the condition. Better and cheaper pain relief with naproxen from Walmart! Any one pushing acupuncture for this is simply mad!
I considered myself sane. Heidi
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Podiatry

In brief: It can

It is possible to aid in the healing process.

In brief: It can

Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
6 comments
Dr. Thomas Namey
Show me the studies!
You are correct Dr. Kass, It reduces pain & inflammation as well as expediting healing.
Dr. Stephen Rodrigues

In brief: YES!!

Acupuncture is the most powerful medicine in medicine and it can be proved beyond a shadow of a doubt! if you have an open mind.
It is so natural and safe it will become the treatment of choice for a lot of pain syndromes.. How? 1. Ignitor of healing cascade. 2. Release tense muscles by depolarizing the muscle. Why? Myofascial pain and dysfunction. See janet g. Travell/simons and my links.

In brief: YES!!

Dr. Stephen Rodrigues
Dr. Stephen Rodrigues

Although I have no double blind study to refer to (specifically for achilles tendonitis), i believe my patient's responses.
There are studies on effectiveness of acupuncture against sham techniques in the treatment of other forms of musculoskeletal pain in which it compared favorably.

Dr. Pamela Pappas
It would be a sad world indeed -- and we'd have very few treatments to offer -- if there had to be controlled double blind studies before treating our patients with anything. Impossible to complete those for every possible condition, before working with people who have those conditions. I read that less than 30% of treatments offered in conventional medicine actually have controlled double blind studies supporting them. :-)
Dr. Thomas Namey
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: There are no double.

No double blind studies exist to show this.
Acupuncture may give temporary pain relief, but does not promote healing!

In brief: There are no double.

Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Thomas Namey
7 comments
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20140448
http://www.tuftsmedicalcenter.org/apps/HealthGate/Article.aspx?chunkiid=38402
Dr. Ihab Ibrahim
Pain Management

In brief: Minimal Risk to it

http://link.springer.com/article/10.
1007%2fs00421-010-1368-z in 2010, the european journal of applied physiological medicine reported that a study of acupuncture on achilles tendon injuries had concluded that there was significant therapeutic benefit. The research revealed that the acupuncture increased the blood volume and oxygen saturation to the achilles tendon which lasted well over 30 minute.

In brief: Minimal Risk to it

http://link.springer.com/article/10.
Dr. Ihab Ibrahim
Dr. Ihab Ibrahim
6 comments
Thank you Dr. Ibrahim for sharing this study. Heidi
I include a link: http://www.theacupunctureclinic.co.nz/acupuncture-for-achilles-tendonitis/
Dr. Mihaela Marin

In brief: Acupuncture can help

Acupuncture helps the symptoms and promotes the healing , by increasing the blood flow to the area and decreasing the inflamation

In brief: Acupuncture can help

Dr. Mihaela Marin
Dr. Mihaela Marin

In brief: I have

Not seen any studies that show acupuncture helps any tendonitis.
Suppose you can try it to see, don't think it would harm.

In brief: I have

Dr. Jeffrey Bowman
Dr. Jeffrey Bowman
6 comments
Dr. Thomas Namey
Won't harm but will feed to crystal power, aroma therapy audiience reading this. At great cost. Naproxen will work better for the pain. Won't heal it but will perform better at lower cost!
Our comments as physicians do carry weight with readers. One physician's comment can sway a person toward or away from particular medical treatments. Attempts to prevent one from obtaining legitimate treatment can be equally harmful as it would be to steer one towards gimmicks. Traditional Chinese Medicine to include acupuncture has been used to optimize health, reduce pain & heal for literally thousands of years. In my opinion, a marriage of Western & Eastern Medicine can optimize care. The absence of a double blind study to treat one particular condition does not equate to lack of efficacy. I treated a man two days ago who had one leg traumatically amputated, an arm reattached, a traumatic brain injury and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder from stepping on an IED. He had not been able to receive acupuncture since recently becoming medically retired. The reason he asked for acupuncture was that the narcotics, benzodiazapines & other medications he was prescribed were not adequate. And in this situation the needles did provide him with what he was seeking. "Primum non nocere"