Is the best treatment for an ankle sprain bed rest?

In brief: RICE

Best is rice method which is rest, ice, compression and elevation.
Nsaids would be helpful. I would also get it checked to make sure no fracture or ligament damage.

In brief: RICE

Dr. Jeffrey Bowman
Dr. Jeffrey Bowman
Dr. Mark Galland
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: RICE

You should start with rice as a home treatment.
After 48-72 hours you may switch to heat (instead of ice). As your pain starts to subside you may add stretching as tolerated, and massage. Once pain is gone, then gently return to activity as your strength, flexibility and proprioception need time to recover. If the pain persists see an orthopedic physician.

In brief: RICE

Dr. Mark Galland
Dr. Mark Galland
Dr. Wenjay Sung
Podiatry

In brief: Yes, but

For sprained ankles, resting is obviously important but probably the hardest to do, icing around the area, compression with comfortable ace-bandage, and elevation.
Taking antiinflammatory medication can be helpful the first few weeks after to help decrease pain and swelling. Also, getting over counter ankle bracing may help for more moderate sprains. I hope this helps!

In brief: Yes, but

Dr. Wenjay Sung
Dr. Wenjay Sung
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine