I always get told that if you take Depo-Provera for a long time it can be bad. What are the negative affects of long term use. My bf wants me on the pill ?

Dr. Douglas McNeill

In brief: Bones/bleeding

Within a year of use, 85% of women either have no periods or normal ones.
The other 15% having chaotic bleeding up to every day. It can take from 3 to 31 months after use to regain fertility. Long term use can mobilize more calcium from your bones and increase your lifetime chance of fractures.

In brief: Bones/bleeding

Dr. Douglas McNeill
Dr. Douglas McNeill
Dr. Michael Opsahl
Fertility Medicine

In brief: Long-Term DepoProvra

Depo-provera is a safe and effective contraceptive but long-term use (greater than 2 years) can lead to bone mineral loss.
Provera (medroxyprogesterone) is a Progesterone only contraceptive but estrogen maintains bone mineral. The complication is higher if other risks for osteoporosis (family history, alcohol/tobacco use). Take extra calcium and vit d. Your bf may have a point. See your doc for details & options.

In brief: Long-Term DepoProvra

Dr. Michael Opsahl
Dr. Michael Opsahl
Dr. Adam Levy