Woman, 87, with low-to-normal BP while sitting & elevated BP when standing - why the big difference?

Dr. Bac Nguyen

In brief: Normal response

This normal for your body to do that.
..The blood pressure should even lower when you laying flat to sleep at night.. Standing up means you are physically taller than sitting and thus needing more pressure to get blood up to your head..

In brief: Normal response

This normal for your body to do that.
Dr. Bac Nguyen
Dr. Bac Nguyen
2 comments
Dr. Bennett Werner
I agree with the above. Note that doctors do not use standing BP to determine if there is "high blood pressure" because everyone is higher standing, if they're healthy. A fall in BP when standing (orthostasis) is a sign of dehydration or more serious illness.
Dr. Bac Nguyen
BTW---forgive me to say this: Grandma--at 87 and you blogging---it is awesome. I can feel that you will easily beat the centenial mark without problem. Keep up the good work!!!
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham