I take. Propranolol 60mg er. Synthroid 50 mcg. Wellbutrin (bupropion) 100 mg sr and . Zoloft. 75mg. Can I drink alcohol? If I get intoxicated what could happen?

Dr. Daniel Konold

In brief: Yes in moderation

Antidepressants can make you more sensitive to alcohol; you can be intoxicated more quickly than usual.
A 4 ounce glass of wine should be perfectly safe as long as you are not driving. Risks of intoxicaton include liver disease, impaired motor skills, memory loss, loss of your cell phone and finding yourself in an unexpected relatonship.

In brief: Yes in moderation

Dr. Daniel Konold
Dr. Daniel Konold
Dr. Susan Uhrich

In brief: Easy does it.

Several things are possible.
Your blood pressure could drop lower than it should be, or you could have a blackout. Perhaps of most concern is that you are on 2 antidepressants and every drop of alcohol is a depressant. Your meds are not likely to be fully effective!

In brief: Easy does it.

Several things are possible.
Dr. Susan Uhrich
Dr. Susan Uhrich

In brief: Recommend against

alcohol use with these medications.
Per Drugs.Com Drug interaction Checker- “Using bupropion with alcohol may increase the risk of uncommon side effects such as seizures, hallucinations, delusions, paranoia, mood and behavioral changes, depression, suicidal thoughts, anxiety, and panic attacks.” It is also contraindicated wtih zoloft and propranolol.

In brief: Recommend against

alcohol use with these medications.
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology