Should a doctor prescribe an antitussive to a patient with chronic bronchitis that is coughing up sputum?

Dr. Kristen Stuppy

In brief: Not necessarily

I am not a fan of antitussives for many reasons.
If you have sputum, it is good to get it out. For sleep you can try to supress the cough, but studies show even prescriptions don't work very well. In desperation people spend money on things that don't work. Interestingly, honey has been shown to do a pretty good job, so get a cup of no-caffeine herbal tea with a tsp of honey to sip before bed.

In brief: Not necessarily

Dr. Kristen Stuppy
Dr. Kristen Stuppy
Dr. Kristen Stuppy
And of course if not getting better or if there's blood in the sputum, see your doctor. Sometimes an inhaler works to stop the cough with bronchitis or other wheezing coughs.
Dr. Sue Ferranti

In brief: Not necessarily,,,

Sometimes it is not the right thing to do to suppress a cough productive of sputum since the sputum could become infected if allowed to remain in the airways.
There are other treatments available, though, so see your doctor.

In brief: Not necessarily,,,

Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Sue Ferranti