I have trouble swallowing food, it goes down slowly, whenever I do not take prilosec. I have to take it every day to be ok. Was diag. Wit hiat. Hernia?

Dr. Tracy Berg
Surgery

In brief: Hiatal hernia

You might have more than an hiatal hernia.
The addition of gerd, acid/bile reflux may have damaged/scarred your lower esophagus. Okay to ask your regular doc about surgical options in addition to your current medical therapy. A scope/egd will be helpful to diagnose and help plan future therapies.

In brief: Hiatal hernia

Dr. Tracy Berg
Dr. Tracy Berg
Dr. David Earle
Surgery

In brief: Hiatal hernia

If the hiatal hernia is large, and causing symptoms, you should get a consultation from a general or thoracic surgeon with experience in laparoscopic hiatal hernia repair.
Not sure why the Prilosec makes swallowing easier, it only stops acid production from the stomach. But if it works, then good. Hope this helps.

In brief: Hiatal hernia

Dr. David Earle
Dr. David Earle
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery