Is Benadryl (diphenhydramine) or simply sleep good for insomnia?

Temporarily. Taking otc meds and even prescription pills are ok for a short term basis. Insomnia is often a multifaceted issue that needs proper evaluation and treatment. Often proper sleep hygiene is enough to correct the problem without the need for medications. As with any sleep aid, physical dependence is possible so avoid regular use. It is best to consult with a sleep specialist.
Short term. These otc meds are for short term purposes only. But insomnia should be addressed further if it becomes chronic as there ate many causes to this.