Have had a sinus infection. Now have severe pain behind eye, above eye and temple. Pressure in the eye, the eye is push out a bit. What is going on?

Dr. Faryal Ghaffar
In brief: Orbital cellulitis
One of the complications of sinus infection is orbital cellulitis.
Orbital cellulitis results in eye ball protrusion, pain on eye movements, limited eye movements. It is important that you seek medical care right away. Ct scan differentialtes periorbital versus orbital cellulitis. It requires management with systemic antibiootic.

In brief: Orbital cellulitis
Dr. Faryal Ghaffar
Dr. Faryal Ghaffar
Dr. Allen Seely
General Practice
In brief: COULD BE SERIOUS
The concern here is 'peri-orbital cellulitis' which is an emergency.
You describe severe pain and eye 'pushed out' --these are serious signs of infection and needs to be checked immediately. A ct scan will help make the diagnosis. Usually a course of I.V. Antibiotics will take care of the infection and prevent complication.

In brief: COULD BE SERIOUS
Dr. Allen Seely
Dr. Allen Seely
Dr. Jonathan Jassey