I had an upper GI endoscopy done yesterday. Everything was normal but the doc took biopsy of the stomach and duodenmum why would that be?

See below. There are times that what he sees as normal may not be microscopicaaly for instance. The organism h pyloris can cause minor gastritis but can be seen under the microscope.
Endoscopy. Gaviscon, otc Prilosec & Tums (calcium carbonate) use indicate previous stomach or duodenum gastritis or ulcer. The biopsy is done to see any h. Pylori infection and the status of stomach and duodenum layers. Wish you good health.