My five year old has a fever of a 101.0, he doesn't feel sick at all. Is this normal? When should I take him in if it doesn't go down?

Dr. Shah Chowdhury

In brief: Febrile Illness

Mostly caused by virus.
If associated sore throat with redness inside, need to rule out strep pharyngitis. Children tolerate fever better than adult. Fever reducers Acetaminophen or Ibuprofen not needed when fever is less than 101 f. Remember, never alternate Ibuprofen and Acetaminophen or alike. Pick only one. If more than 104 take to the doc.

In brief: Febrile Illness

Mostly caused by virus.
Dr. Shah Chowdhury
Dr. Shah Chowdhury

In brief: Febrile illness

Fever with no symptoms need to be monitored.
If simple fever remedies doesnt releive the fever, in 24 hrs take the child to the doctor.

In brief: Febrile illness

Dr. Bharathi Vayuvegula
Dr. Bharathi Vayuvegula
Dr. Michael Engel
Pediatrics - Hematology & Oncology

In brief: 101 is fever, but...

It doesn't necessarily mean he needs to see a doctor. If he's acting normally, there's likely nothing to be worried about.
If he develops symptoms that concern you, then you may want to give your pediatrician a call to discuss the matter. I wonder what prompted you to measure his temp in the first place, given that he's well. Was there something else that concerned you about him?

In brief: 101 is fever, but...

Dr. Michael Engel
Dr. Michael Engel
Dr. Uzma Chaudhry

In brief: Tylenol (acetaminophen)

Give him tylenol (acetaminophen) (a liquid if can't swallow) and if no change or gets higher go to urgent care to get antibiotics and further treatment and recommendations.

In brief: Tylenol (acetaminophen)

Dr. Uzma Chaudhry
Dr. Uzma Chaudhry
Dr. Shontae Buffington