If my 4mo old is talking to an object, should I make sounds as if the object is talking back? Or is that only when he talks to me?

Dr. Colin Kerr

In brief: Imaginary friends

Four year olds live in the realm of magic (see selma freiberg's book the magic years).
What they think or see in their minds is real for them. There is no textbook answer to your question. You base the answer on what happens. Simply try speaking up for the object that he is talking to and see whether he enjoys the response. If not, you can stop. If he does, keep on going. It should be fun!

In brief: Imaginary friends

Dr. Colin Kerr
Dr. Colin Kerr
Dr. Cindy Juster