I have red swollen thumb really sore. It's also inflamed. Doc has prescribed amoxicillin but i don't like antibios. Any suggestions?

Dr. Tracy Lovell
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: See below

Untreated skin infections can cause serious problems and over a thumb, i would worry about it causing an infection in your thumb joint which is a serious condition where it can lead surgery to save your thumb joint.
Call your prescribing doctor and discuss your concerns with him or her especially if you decide not to take the amoxicillin.

In brief: See below

Dr. Tracy Lovell
Dr. Tracy Lovell
Dr. Ki-Hon Lin
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Possible infection

It sounds like you are being treated for an infection of your thumb.
An infection is one of the worst case scenarios for a red swollen thumb - at worst, the infection could potentially get into your bloodstream, which could obviously be a bad situation. I understand that you don't like antibiotics, but i would definitely take them. Consider a second opinion if it makes you feel better about it.

In brief: Possible infection

Dr. Ki-Hon Lin
Dr. Ki-Hon Lin
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine